Monday, April 19, 2010

Falafel falafel falafel!

(To the tune of the Mexican Hat Dance)

Okay people, I admit it. I'm getting lazy. This menu is a mostly a repeat. But it's hard to get motivated to try something new when you know that lamby meatballs will be so good.

Green Salad
Greens and mushrooms and red peppers and dressing. Last week's salad was delicious, so I was very happy to find the same veggies in the fridge today. This time it didn't seem quite as good to me, though. This is probably because I was halfway through dinner by the time I managed to dig my salad out. It's really hard to compete with eggplant and lamb and fried onions.

Cauliflower Soup
Roasted cauliflower with onions, turmeric, almonds, and dried apricot. I loved this.

Lentils and Quinoa and Onions
There was a lot of leftover quinoa from last night, so instead of making our own grain, I mixed some of it with lentils and some gorgeous caramelized onions. Unfortunately, this was done early, and I burned the finished dish a bit trying to keep it warm on the stovetop because all of the ovens were occupied. Fortunately, it was mostly salvageable, so we just had less.

Meatballs: lamb and turkey
Baked, with parsley, garden mint, onions, cumin, coriander, and ginger. The recipe from Arabesque also called for fresh cilantro, but I forgot to order any. I don't think that the dish suffered too much. We did 8 lbs of meat: 5 of lamb, 3 of turkey and it was just a little more than we needed. I expected to like the turkey version, because I usually love turkey meat balls, but they were not that good; I think that 6 or 7 lbs of lamb would have been ideal, and that 5 lbs of lamb plus an extra tray of falafel would have been better than doing turkey.

Falafel (falafel, falafel)
Again, baked. So easy now that we have big food processor! (And Ida to do all the boring assembly work!)

Grilled Eggplant
Cut by Ida, grilled outside by Megan W. I would have cooked them a little longer if I was at the grill, but then Megan would have thought that they were overdone. There's just no pleasing the two of us when it comes to vegetables. These were still very good.

Homemade Pita
From The Bread Bible. I multiplied the recipe by five and substituted half whole wheat flour. Four times the recipe would have been enough. The flour substitution was perfect. Really time consuming.

Accompaniments
Raw red cabbage with tomatoes, pickled green cabbage with parsley, shredded cucumbers and garden mint, tahini garlic sauce, pomegranate yogurt sauce. (No hot sauce - ran out of time. Hot sauce would have been good.)

Strawberries and Cream
Whipped by hand by Megan W.

No comments:

Post a Comment